May 10, 2018 | Written By: Manzuri Law

Step 1: Apply for and obtain a state cannabis event organizer license.

Step 2: Find a compliant location for your event.  At this time, licensed cannabis events can only take place at county fairs and DAA’s within California.

Step 3: Obtain written local approval “to engage in onsite cannabis sales to, and onsite consumption by, persons 21 years of age or older at the event.”

Step 4: Obtain a temporary cannabis event license from the Bureau by submitting an application to the Bureau at least 60 days before the first day of the event. Temporary events can last up to a maximum of four consecutive days.  You will be required to provide to the Bureau a list of all licensees providing on-site sales at the event.

What are the fees?

CA Application Fee Schedule for Cannabis Event Organizers

License Type Fee Per Application
Cannabis Event Organizer License $1,000
Temporary Cannabis Event License $1,000

CA Annual License Fee Schedule for Cannabis Event Organizers

License Type Planned Operations (Number of Operations) Fee Per License
Cannabis Event Organizer 1-10 events annually $ 5,000
greater than 10 events annually $ 10,000

o   Individuals can hold alcohol beverage licenses with the ABC and cannabis licenses with California’s Bureau of Cannabis Control (BCC) simultaneously.

o   Cannabis and alcohol cannot be sold at the same location.

o   Cannabis cannot be consumed at restaurants and bars; it cannot be sold by the ABC licensee, nor can consumers bring their own.

Advertising and sponsorships:

[1]B&P § 26151(b)

***This article has been updated since new regulations were published. Click here for updated article***

Disclaimer: This article has been prepared and published for informational purposes only and is not offered, nor should be construed, as legal advice.