On July 5, 2022, the California Department of Public Health Food and Drug Branch (FDB) published the applications necessary for the administration of the Industrial Hemp Enrollment and Oversight (IHEO) authorization, initiated by the signing of Assembly Bill 45.
Simply put, if you intend to manufacture, pack, hold, or distribute applicable industrial hemp products, you must apply for an IHEO Authorization issued by the FDB.
Our accomplished California cannabis lawyers have procured over 1,000,000 acres of hemp and cannabis licenses for clients pursuing their business goals in these highly regulated areas. We can help you open or expand your hemp business in California too.
Who Must Apply for Hemp Registration and Licensing in California?
The FBS requires different hemp registrations for different industrial hemp products.
Hemp businesses that must apply for an IHEO authorization include:
- Extract manufacturers, including separate authorization forms for Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino Counties,
- Human food manufacturers, including separate authorization forms for Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino Counties,
- Processed pet food manufacturers,
- Cosmetics manufacturers,
- Human food manufacturers with cannery licenses, and
- Industrial hemp inhalable authorization, which is currently only available for out-of-state sales. This restriction is in line with AB-45’s current prohibition on the sale of smokable hemp products in California until a tax schedule has been created.
With the exception of the industrial hemp inhalable authorization, each of the above mentioned categories require two separate application forms.
The regulatory process can feel overwhelming, especially as the California hemp industry continues to expand, and Manzuri Law is here to help streamline the application process, removing the challenges associated with local hemp business compliance.
Contact one of our cannabis, hemp, and CBD law firm specialists today by phone at (310) 912-2960 or online to get started.